Thursday, July 19, 2012

Becoming aware of what we eat



I'm sure you've heard the old expression "don't shop hungry" you are bound to buy junk food that you don;t need to eat and don't necessarily even like. your hunger clouds your judgement and you are much less aware of what you are choosing. I'm realizing the truth of this more and more this week. I've been trying to be vegan for a week and it is a lot more difficult than i expected. It's not that i crave dairy or eggs because i really don't I've been perfectly content without them. the problem is that there have been occasions this week where I've eaten animal products without even thinking about it. for example i met a friend for breakfast today, and i consciously asked for no cheese on my sandwich, however i completely spaced out and ordered yogurt. i'm less upset about breaking my vegan-ism than i am about how unaware was about what i was eating.

We as Americans often eat the most convenient food available without regard for nutrition. this is a big part of why there is an epidemic of obesity in this country. there is a fast food restaurant on every corner and we've all but done away with cooking and eating meals as family units. i'm not saying that we all need to survive on carrot sticks and water but if everyone took a moment before they ate to think about what they are eating. it may not make a difference for some people but me personally if i sit and think about what i'm eating i am much more likely to choose a healthy alternative than just grab the first thing i see.
and please check out my youtube channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment