Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Effect of Wearing Dresses

Today I decided wear a dress. I usually wear t-shirts and jeans. I suppose you are wondering why this is such a big deal. I didn't think i would be however when i went to the book store today something odd happened. i was looking at books about hair when a guy walked up to me. We exchanged pleasantries and then i returned to my book, however he wouldn't go away. he kept trying to engage me in conversation even though i made it clear that i wasn't interested and wanted to be left alone. i finally had to text my boyfriend to call me so i had an excuse to escape. The dress i wore showed no cleavage was knee length and was modest by all but Muslim standards. I have never had this happen to me before so the only reason i can think of is that i was wearing a dress that showed my lower legs. Maybe i'm overreacting but I felt objectified by a complete stranger and it frightened me for a while as i felt trapped. I'm almost certain this guy wouldn't have noticed me if i was wearing my normal outfit of jeans a t shirt and an over-sized sweatshirt. Is wearing dresses really a reason for a guy to ignore social cues and make a woman feel afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment